Be a bus driver
What does being a bus driver involve?
In addition to driving the vehicle, you’re in charge of:
What you need for the job
There are a few things we look out for to make sure you are ready for the job and able to drive yourself and our customers around safely. In order to operate a bus, we need you to:
- Be a permanent resident of Australia or citizen of Australia or New Zealand
- Have held an unrestricted Australian Driver's Licence for the last 12 months
- Have a good driving history
- Be willing to work all the shifts required of the position
- Maintain a weight below 130 kilos
- Obtain a Working with Children Check clearance (we’ll help you with this as part of the recruitment process)
- You’ll need to get clearance from a medical practitioner to obtain a bus driver authority card. This authority allows you to drive a public passenger vehicle.
What kind of shifts are there?
There are three options for shift rostering to help you find the work / life balance you’re looking for.
Where will I work?
There are 12 depots located in four regions across Sydney. You can nominate your preferred depot locations from the list below when you start.
Northern RegionBrookvale, Mona Vale and North Sydney
Eastern RegionPort Botany, Randwick and Waverley
Southern RegionBurwood, Kingsgrove, Leichhardt and Tempe
Western RegionRyde and Willoughby
Pay and perks
State Transit offers drivers a wide range of other benefits including:
How do I apply?
Apply in person
Register to attend our next Open Day and we can take you through the application and assessment process all in the one day.